Sunday, March 8, 2015

New Life Goal: Be Mr. Teague

If I could, I would do the whole trip all over again. Even the bus ride. Although I did learn that personal space is important to me. And that I probably have way too much stuff. And bacon always makes breakfast better. 

But I kind of already knew that. I also learned that I have probably have the best standmate of all time. And that most people are generally good. 

But I already knew that too. I learned lots of cool facts and figures about New York City!

But upon reflection, that's not what stands out to me. Perhaps it was the old saying "how do you get to Carnegie Hall?  Practice. " is actually how you get anywhere worth going. 

Or perhaps it was the resilience of the city, and by connection,  our country. We're still here, standing strong because we are worth it. 

Or perhaps it was the sheer size of New York City. There are millions of people there, but it almost never felt overcrowded. It felt natural, almost organic. And everyone was welcome. People working together can create incredible, well, anything. 

And we did. We were just a micro community in New York City, but we created something better than ourselves. As we started hitting cords in the final choral of Angels in the Architecture, it seemed like we were transcending. Now, I know many others say they saw Mr. Teague crying (including Mr. Teague) but I didn't see tears. As I looked up for the final cords, I saw Mr. Teague glowing. I have never seen anyone glow like I saw him glow then and I don't think I ever will again. It was a glow that told me that we were not ourselves anymore. We were more than ourselves; we were one with the music,  with one another, and, maybe, with something or someone greater than ourselves. I will never forget that oneness, being more connected than I ever knew I could be. 

And now we're home and are already preparing for another concert. But how do you prepare when you know it will never ever be the same? 

You play on. And maybe that's ultimately what I learned from Carnegie and New York.  It doesn't matter what happens; you play on. So I will play on. And maybe one day, I too will become so good and so connected to something that I, too, will glow.